Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Hunted...

You thought I forgot, didn't you?  I could NEVER forget Teaser Tuesday!!  I've just been busy getting ready for my bi-annual writing retreat which I leave for in like less than two hours now!!  Woohoo!!  Can you guess what I'm going to be doing?  Finishing up the final touches on Metamorphosis!!!  Now that my friends is something to celebrate!!
     In the meantime, a teaser awaits your reading pleasure...


                                Skyla

              Boom.  Boom.  Boom.

 Jey shoots up from the ground.  “What was that?”

Crossing my arms, I give him a bitter stare.  Too bad it’s too dark for him to get the full effect.  “I told you I heard something.”

“Shhhh,” he cautions, slowly pulling himself up to a crouching position. 

I follow his lead, raising myself up onto the balls of my feet, my fingers digging into the earth below.  About a mile away from us there’s something glowing, turning the golden grass into eerie, neon green.  Behind the glow is a large metallic structure that I instantly recognize.  It’s the Striker.  Bile rises slowly in my throat and I swallow it back, trying not to let my fear disable me completely. 

“We’ve got to go.”  I pull on Jey’s sleeve trying to persuade him to run.

“Wait,” he says, shaking his arm free.  “Something’s happening.”

I’m pretty sure I don’t want to see what’s happening, but I don’t want to get separated from Jey either.

We watch the green light as it flickers in and out.  Finally, it splits into three separate beams and moves away from the base of the Striker.

“What is it?” I whisper.

“I’m not sure.  It looks like a search party or something,” Jey says. 

“All the more reason for us to leave,” I reiterate. 

Suddenly, the lights break away from each other completely.  One’s on the left, one is on the right and one is directly center.  It only takes a moment for me to realize the shift in direction.  The lights are gaining speed and they’re headed straight for us. 

We are being hunted.

     Crazy!!  Well, I'm off to write, write, write!!  See you guys on the flip side...oh, and Happy Reading!!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment