Monday, September 22, 2014

Parched...

     Have you ever been thirsty?  Not like I need a swig of water thirsty, but like your mouth is made of cotton thirsty?  Nothing seems to satisfy.  You chug water.  You down a pop.  Even day old milk sounds good...well, maybe not that good, but you get my point.  :)  Skyla and Jey have a similar situation to deal with.  Let's see how they handle it.

    
                                       Jey
Whoever said that truth is beautiful is an idiot.  Truth can be brutal, unforgiving.  One glance at where we’ve come from is enough to make the strongest person quit.  I shudder to even think about what waits ahead of us. 

Shading my eyes from the sun, I glance into the distance.  All I can see is an endless field of rocks teetering on the parched earth.  Cracks litter the surface of the dry ground like veins.  Just looking at it makes me long for the lake that’s directly behind us.  Even though the water is deadly, at least there is the visual of liquid to keep you sustained. 

Skyla breathes out a sigh beside me. 

“You ready?” I ask, springing to my feet.  It’s not that I’m excited about the prospect of moving forward.  I just know that if we don’t move now, we’ll give up. 

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” she responds, pushing herself up off the ground.

For a moment we both silently stare out over the next leg of our journey.  The sight before me sucks the moisture right out of my mouth.  I lick my lips and swallow, subconsciously trying to convince myself I’m not thirsty. 

“We’re going to have to find water soon,” I say.

“Yep.”

“I bet there’s not any out there.”

“Yep.”

“We could kiss,” I suggest.  “That might produce some…”

“Don’t even finish that sentence.”

My lips curl upwards into a smirk.  “It was worth a try,” I call over my shoulder as I jog into the rocky terrain.

A small growl sounds behind me, followed by the shuffle of shoes against dirt.  “One of these days, Jey,” Skyla grumbles.

“Let’s concentrate on getting off this island first, Sky.  Then, you can take all the time you want to plan my demise.”

“I think I will,” Skyla responds.  “In fact, that’s going to be at the top of my list.” 

A loud bark of laughter escapes me.  “I’ll hold you to that.”

    
     Hahahaha...Jey's definitely an opportunist.  I hope you enjoyed this week's snippet!  Happy Reading!


A

No comments:

Post a Comment