Monday, May 6, 2013

The Sips are coming!!!

         
          Yay!!!   It's Tuesday!!   Welcome back.   Are you ready for some more of Skyla?   I know I am!   
          We've had a few feel good pieces but it's time to get back to some good old fashioned, heart pumping, gut wrenching action!   It's time to meet the Sips.   They're the Sky World's version of cops.  The biggest difference in this scenario is that the Sips are not necessarily the good guys.  Let's join Skyla and Ranger in one of their brief encounters with the 'boys in black'.
 
           Walls are shaking.  The air bursts with a familiar wailing sound – Sip sirens.  Something big is happening.        

            Barely awake, I scramble out of my hammock, rushing over to the window.  The sun beats down onto the dusty street, illuminating a massive black blob below.  I rub my eyes, thinking they must be playing tricks on me, but when I look back, my stomach drops.  Hundreds of Sips, clad in their dark uniforms, are marching down the street.  They stomp forward in unison, like a writhing black beast, their footsteps echoing ominously off the stone buildings that surround them. 

            “Ranger,” I cry, motioning for him to come.   

            He stumbles towards me, still half asleep, and surveys the scene below.  Cursing, he turns back into the room, leaving me alone at the window.  Somehow, I feel stuck, like I’m frozen as I watch small units breaking off from the main group.  Their shiny helmets bob up and down as they enter each building, crushing any obstacle in their way. 

            They are searching for outsiders like us.  We don’t have long.

            “Grab any credits you have,” Ranger barks already heading for his stash.

            “Wait, I’m not dressed,” I cry, finally pulling myself away from the window.  A loud bang sounds above the siren, stopping me in my tracks.  The sudden tang of fear swells in my mouth.

            “They’ve got guns,” Ranger says, his eyes widening. 

            Our eyes meet for a split second communicating what we both already know.  There isn’t time to get dressed.  Guns are only involved in extreme cases, otherwise they are banned.  Grabbing my coin purse, I forget about changing my clothes and head out the door behind Ranger. 

            We start down the stairs but it’s too late.  A crash shudders beneath us as the Sips break down the door, splintering it into a hundred pieces.  Loud shouts fill the air as they begin searching the bottom floor. 
         
         All I can say is I wouldn't want to be on the Sips' bad side!  See you next week for a new snippet!
 
A

No comments:

Post a Comment