Monday, April 22, 2013

Confessions Of A Writer


         
           So, I have a confession to make. I'm a...a...a die hard romance fan! There I said it...whew, I feel so much better!  Now, I can finally sleep at night :)   In fact, romance is one of my key three!!   A little adventure, a few knives or swords and a splash of romance make an excellent novel! :)   That being said, this week I'm going to introduce you to Ranger, one of the male leads in the story.
         Now guys, don't click off the page!!   Although, I love a good romance, this book definitely has a plot.   Books without plots are like peanut butter without jelly or a monkey without bananas or...well, you get the point.   So, chill for minute.   This week may be for the ladies but I assure there is plenty of action for you manly types.  
         That being said, we join Skyla on the run again...
 
          Once I’ve cleared the crowd, I ditch my heels and burst into a sprint towards the East Edge.  Just like Ranger taught me, I twist and turn down multiple alleyways to make it harder for someone to track me.  Even so, I have the sick feeling that someone is in pursuit. 

            Picking up my speed, I turn the corner in an alley and stop, pressing myself up against the side of the building, disappearing into the shadows.  I don’t need anyone following me back to the hideout. 

            Moments later, I hear the patter of feet on the ground.  I was right after all.  Listening closely, I try to envision my stalker by the sounds I hear.  One person, possibly male from the way the feet stomp instead of glide like most girls.  Not a Sip, there’s no gear jangling.  I can hear loud puffing as they approach, so they are probably tired, an easy target for someone with my training.

            Crouching down low, I prepare myself to confront my attacker.  The familiar surge of adrenaline spreads through my body.  I have had just about enough surprises today.  Now, it is someone else’s turn.  Whoever it is will regret that they even dared to chase me. 

            I wait till the sounds are almost upon me before I stick my leg out from the corner, tripping my opponent to the ground.  He spills onto the street, probably swallowing at least a pound of dirt.  Good.  He deserves it. 

            I reach down, pulling at the back of his shirt.  My heart is pounding as I get ready to introduce this guy to my fists. 

            “Skyla,” a familiar voice calls from the ground.  “Is that you?”

            I stumble backwards, letting the fabric slip through my hands.  Black jeans.  Gray shirt.  Realization floods through me.  “Ranger?”

            He looks up from the street, his face covered in dirt, and starts to laugh.

            It takes me a minute to process but soon I relax, sitting down next to him, laughing too.  “I’m sorry.  I thought some freak was following me.”

            Ranger chuckles again.  “What?  Were you going to beat me?”

            A grin slides across my face.  “You know it.”

            “You still could you know,” Ranger says, raising an eyebrow.

            “What exactly are you suggesting?”  I laugh nervously.   

            Ranger takes my hand.  It’s still shaking from the adrenaline rush.  He pulls me closer, wrapping me in his arms.  “I’m suggesting that you show me exactly what you can do.”

            I’m still breathing heavy from our late night sprint and find that being so close to him doesn’t help to slow my heart rate. 

            “I don’t think you can handle it,” I say trying to be confident but it comes out all breathy and nervous.

            Ranger flashes that irresistibly confident smirk and leans down, his lips just inches from mine.  I can’t help but stare.  “Can’t I?”

            I don’t really know if it’s a question or a challenge.  My eyes flutter.  I’m having trouble processing anything with him this close to me.  “I…”
 
           Yeah, I know I'm cruel but I can't let you read everything ahead of time! :)  I hope you enjoyed this small glimpse of Ranger.  Come back next week for a brand new snippet!  

         


A 

No comments:

Post a Comment